We recently read an excellent article by Steve Olenski in the March 28, 2014 edition of Forbes magazine discussing the six rules that brand owners need to follow for their trademarks. We highly recommend Steve’s article, which can be found at this link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveolenski/2014/03/28/6-things-your-brand-needs-to-know-about-trademarks/
As reflected in our prior posts in this blog, Steve’s posts are right on the money. We cannot emphasize that these are the six things that brand owners — and really anyone involved with trademarks — MUST DO:
1. Work with an attorney.
2. Run a trademark search before adopting a trademark.
3. Don’t waste money on weak trademarks.
4. Always use a marking notice with your trademarks.
5. Investigate infringement before sending a cease & desist letter.
6. Keep future expansion possibilities for your trademark in mind.